Friday, April 18, 2008

Post Exams Bananas!.... Errmm.. I mean banana cupcakes!


Finally my dreaded statistics exam is over! One more assignment to go... which I should be working on right now... but I have decided to bake instead....
I'm addicted to the KC forum and we have a banana cake challenge going on... So, I decided to use some of the ripen banana to bake a cake... Since, I like something more healthy and I baked a a near vegan cupcake.... it was suppose to be vegan but at the very last minute, I added a tablespoon of milk cos' it was a little dry. I suppose I could have used water...

Anyway, it turned out really good... even my hubby who likes the 'real cakes' was pleased with  it even though he did not care much for the cashews ( he's not a nut person)

I got the recipe online when I was just about to give up on looking for recipes.. The pictures looked inspiring and also the recipe is darn simple. So, I decided to go ahead with it. I made some of my own modifications to it.. So this is my version:

Cashew Banana Cupcakes/Muffins

3/4 cup sugar (I used a mixture of white and brown sugar)
1/3 cup oil 
9-10 small ripe bananas - mashed
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon 
1/4 to 1/3 cup cashews (chopped and roasted)
1 -2 tbsp milk/soy milk/water (in case it is a little dry)

Method:

1. Sift the dry ingredients
2. Whip sugar and oil for a minute or two. I also choose to add the salt here cos' I'm using sea salt.
3. Add in the finely mashed banana. Whip until light and fluffy
4. Fold in the dry ingredients using a spoon (so that too much gluten will not be formed)
5. Add the cashews (keep some aside to sprinkle on top).
6. Adjust the texture by adding a tbsp of milk. The mixture should not be too dry.
7. Dollop batter into cupcake cases about close to 3/4  and bake at 180 to 190 degree Celsius.

Makes 11 cupcakes. 


No comments: