Friday, September 19, 2008

My Very First Vegan Briyani Rice

I decided that I wanted to try making my own briyani rice. So, I got some basmati rice from my mum and tried my hand at it. the rice turned out nice, only that I didn't put in enough salt. So, it was a little bland.

I made some mock mutton curry to go along with the briyani and the balance was nice. I thickened the curry with some ground cashews instead of the normal cow's milk. Coconut milk can also be added to the gravy to thicken it and make it richer. However, I think I will add more spices to the rice next time for a more fragrant and spicy. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


Was extremely yummy! Over-ate and regretted the whole of the next day - but would do it all over again, hahaha.

The lack of salt in the rice was compensated for by the slightly-more-salty curry (due to the inherent salt in the mock meat itself).

It was really like eating some gourmet mutton (lamb) briyani - not like the type you get at hawker centres but at high-end restaurants.

I would pay good money for this stuff - explains why I gave her my life...