Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Potato Salad Sandwich

Since it is nearing the end of my semester, I have been just so busy juggling school and baking. Particularly, this month has been difficult as I have been 'blessed' with a lecturer who is fickle minded to say the least. So, my research proposal has been through some difficult times and I'm glad that it is finally over. 

Anyway, I was looking up some recipes online to make vegan sandwich without using mock meat and I chanced upon a potato salad sandwich. It is an awesome idea and I remembered how much I loved potato salads during my uni days. So this time round, I just
whipped it up with some vegan mayo. It was really good and we enjoyed it tremendously. Remember to refrigerate uneaten potato salad as it goes bad pretty fast in Singapore's humid weather. 

Recipe for Potato Salad Sandwich (Makes a lot - 1/2 if necessary but seriously?)

700g boiling potatoes (like Russet) 
3 cloves of garlic, peeled (or more, if u r a garlic lover)
1/2 an onion diced (or less if you don't like raw onions)
1/4 to 1/2 tsp pepper to taste
70 -80g of vegan mayo (I didn't use much as my bro does not like to much mayo, but feel free to adjust accordingly)
1/2 to 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast (really optional)
Vegan margarine
Some tomato slices
Some lettuce
Some bread (wholemeal/white etc)

Method:
1) Peel, cube and boil potatoes and garlic with some salt. Once the potatoes are tender, drain the liquid, reserving some, and mash it up to desired consistency. I prefer it a little chunky. 
2) Add onions, pepper, vegan mayo and nutritional yeast. Mix well. If needed, add more vegan mayo or reserved liquid to achieve a creamier consistency.
3) Spread bread with vegan margarine (optional). Add a scoop of potato salad and top it off with tomato and lettuce. 
4) Eat! 

Note: You can consider making an open top sandwich by placing a slice of cheese on top and grilling it. Also, if using garlic powder, add it together with other seasoning. 

No comments: