Sunday, January 18, 2009

Altazzag - Egyptian Restaurant


Hubby and I rarely eat out but since it was our a special day for us, we decided to try the food at Altazzag, which has been much raved about by our friends. Since this was the first time my first time having Middle Eastern food, I was really looking forward to it - firstly I can find out what it tastes like, so that I can replicate it at home and secondly, I've heard so much about hummus and tahina etc. The closest I have come to having ME food is pita bread stuffed with my own fillings. 

Fortunately. Altazzag has a all-in-one platter that offers the perennial favourites and we decided to go for that together with the much raved about falafel. In all honesty, I'm glad I tried the food but it was relatively bland to my tastebuds. I appreciate the nutritional value - loaded with wholesome sesames and chickpeas but it was not a out-of-this-world experience I was expecting. But then again, I'm a picky eater! Haha... 

The falafel reassembled an Indian vadai that we make. We call it the 'tortoise' vadai and looks, tastes and has very similar texture to falafel. The only difference is that the vadai is more spicy because it has minced curry leaves, onions and chilli in it. I have a sneaky feeling that the Indian vadai and falafel is the same thing... 

1 comment:

Virginie said...

I didn't know about these 'Tortoise' Vadai. It's a good idea to give a change to falafels.