Friday, January 23, 2009

Beancurd Skin Parcels


This is my first brush with the bean curd wrappers. I usually use the thicker kind which I use in soups. These were sitting in my cupboard for some time and I was thinking of a good time to use it. For the filling, I used some leftover rice and some vegetables. Essentially, a fried rice wrapped in bean curd skin. One of the things I realised was that the beancurd skin is very salty. When I made the first two, I noticed salt granules on it. So, I dipped the remaining sheets in water to reduce the amount salt. I was worried it will disintegrate but it actually held together well.

I suppose the parcels can be steamed but I did the unhealthy thing of pan frying it. The next time I will consider baking it. It tasted quite nice but I think if I used a different filling it will be much tastier! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My family's way to make beancurd skin less salty: wipe it several times with a damp cloth. :)

Halimah Ilavarasi said...

Hahaha! Thanks for the info... It was the first time for me and I only realised that it was so salty when I started on the third parcel. So, I tried soaking it in water. It was better after that.

But I think damp cloth is also good at least it will ensure that the skin doesn't tear.

What kind of fillings do u use?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful colours!
Vegemight :-*