Sunday, January 18, 2009

Vegan Honeydew Sago

Honeydews were on promotion went I did a mad dash to Sheng Siong some time ago. I bought a honeydew on a whim and it was sitting in my kitchen counter starring at me with its woeful eyes. I ignored it for a while, but I soon realised that it was heading towards the point of no return if I were not to intervene. So , I slashed it into pieces and made honeydew soy milk bubble tea with half a melon and stuffed the other half back into the fridge. The next day, I decided to make some honeydew sago. First, I boiled about a cup of sago, and after the opaqueness turned into a translucent jelly, I washed off the starch. Next, I pureed the remaining half of a melon (after scooping about 15 melon balls) with some soy milk and about 2 teaspoons of vanilla sugar. Mix in the cooked sago and the melon balls, and you have honeydew sago!

Soy milk made a refreshingly light dessert but for a richer taste, use coconut milk. You may also want to flavour it with pandan by boiling pandan with some water and using it to make a syrup solution. I used vanilla sugar (basically used vanilla pods steeped in sugar). I sprinkled mine with some brown sugar but really, it is entirely up to your creativity. :)

No comments: