Sunday, February 17, 2008

Wonton Mee...



I'm quite famous for buying things on a whim and then leaving them in the fridge until I decide what to do with it... Of cos' due to my impulsiveness, many vegetables have perished... but luckily frozen products have managed to escape this horrible fate by having longer shelf lives.. So last night, while in bed, I remembered that I had bought a chicken carcass from Giant and it had been sitting in my freezer for over a month... It was time to make stock.....
So, today morning, I dumped the chicken, onion, celery, garlic, ginger and coriander in a huge copper pot and let it simmer for hours. And since I had some wilting chye sim in the fridge, it seemed like a good idea to make wonton mee... And that's what we had for lunch!
The pictures aren't great cos' I just piled all the stuff on... was too tired to dress it up.. So, this is how it will look like on most days :P
This is my own recipe... I'm sure it is not authentic and might not be for everyone's taste... But what the heck... Food is creativity right?

Recipe for Dry Wonton Mee

1 packet of wonton mee noodles
1 packet of cooked dumplings (I got mine from Seng Siong... these are not the fried ones)
Chye sim (to preference)
Prawns (happen to be going for a song at Seng Siong (no pun intended))
Chicken stock (enough to boil the above ingredients)

For the dark sauce base: (This was conjured by me)
2 red chilli - deseeded and finely chopped
1/2 thumb of minced ginger 
Oyster sauce
Dark soya sauce
Light soya sauce 
Sesame oil
1/4 C water

Method:

1) I made the dark sauce base by heating up a small pan with a mixture of sesame and canola  oil. Saute the chili and ginger over low heat until brown.
2) Add water, oyster, dark soya and light soya sauces to taste. If you like it sweeter more oyster sauce and if you like it smokey and more dark soya sauce. 
3) Once it starts boiling, turn off the fire and set the mixture aside.
4) In another pan, add some chicken stock and let it come to a boil. 
5) Add the shelled prawns and chye sim and let it cook quickly. Remove
6) Add the dumplings and let them boil in the chicken stock. Remove
7) Wash the wonton mee to remove the flour on it and add it to the stock (I tried it before without washing it and the stock started to thicken because of the flour). Let it come to a boil, test for doneness and remove it.
8) Place the cooked wonton mee in a bowl, stir in the dark sauce and assemble the wonton noodles, prawns and chye sim. Serve with sambal belachan.


1 comment:

Rei said...

Hi Halimah

This is Rei from KC. You've been tagged. Pls check it out here.