Monday, December 15, 2008

My Very First Nasi Lemak


This is my first nasi lemak in two ways. One it is the first vegetarian nasi lemak that I had. Despite wanting to eat vegetarian nasi lemak, I just can't seem to get the time to find a good place to try. Secondly, this is the first time I am making nasi lemak - be it vegetarian or non-veg. Since, I can't make egg or other non-veg side dishes, I just made a kangkong and cabbage stir fry. Since I can't make fried ikan bilis with this, I just toasted some ground nuts for a more healthy dish. I used this recipe as a guide, used basmati rice and reduced the coconut milk as well cos' I didn't want it to be overwhelming coconuty. I also added some star anise and a cinnamon stick. For the chilli, i happened to have vegetarian 'salted fish' (honestly, does not taste anything like fish!) and used a spoonful of vegetarian sambal belachan. It turned very yummy and like the real thing. I have some sitting in the fridge and I use it for my other dishes as well!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI,
The usual way I make vegetarian nasi lemak is to make coconut rice as per norm, stir fry chilli kangkong, cucumber slices, fried peanuts and tofu sambal. YOurs is exactly the same except for the sambal.

Rathi
hindolam_81@Hotmail.com