I had a box of self raising flour sitting in my shelf for a while now and I happen to chance upon a recipe by gluten-free food manufacturer Orgran. It was a recipe for shortbread that not only used self raising flour but also melted butter. (So easily veganise) So, I got to work and it was really easy and simple that it would be a perfect recipe for children to muck about in as well. And there is no worries about them eating the 'raw dough' as it does not contain eggs and such.
Working with the dough
Waiting to be baked...
Acquiring their delicious crispiness
Vegan Shortbread (Adapted from Orgran's Everday Health Magazine)
325 g self-raising flour
60 g plain flour
220 g non-diary margarine/oil
180 g icing sugar
1) Sift all the dry ingredients together.
2) Melt non-diary margarine in a big enough pot to contain all ingredients. If using oil, proceed to next step.
3) Once melted and cooled, add dry ingredients to melted margarine/oil and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Knead for about a minute to combine. (The dough should be soft but not sticky - add a tiny bit of self-raising flour if you find yours sticky)
4) Roll out to about 0.5 cm thickness, cut out into desired shapes.
5) Bake in a lined/non-stick pan for 20 mins at 150 degree celcius.