I've never cooked leeks before even though I love them to bits. I happen to purchase some and decided to make a vegan potato and leek soup. Traditionally made with some chicken or beef stock, I chose to crumble in some vegetable stock cube and instead of adding cream, I just added a little bit more potatoes and pureed it until creamy. It is a really easy foolproof soup and we loved it very much... Now I feel like having some more!
Potato and Leek Soup (Just based on estimation)
1 onion, sliced
1 leek, cleaned and sliced
3 cloves of garlic, sliced (or more if ur a garlic lover)
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 a vegetable stock cube (or more if you want more flavour)
Salt to taste
some pinch of thyme, rosemary and pepper
1) Saute the onion until translucent. Add the leeks and saute until tender
2) Add garlic and saute until well browned.
3) Add potatoes, stock cube, and enough water to cover the potatoes.
4) Let it boil until the potatoes are cooked. Add a pinch of thyme and rosemary.
5) Puree the soup with a handheld blender to preferred consistency. You can leave some chunky pieces for texture.
6) Add more thyme, ground pepper and salt to taste.
7) Serve with some crusty bread.