Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Daring Bakers' Challenge #01 - Cheezecake

I'm a little late with this post but I've decided to jump onto the Daring Bakers' monthly challenge. Though the reveal was to be on the 27th of April, I'm a little late.

The April 2009 challenge is hosted by Jenny from Jenny Bakes. She has chosen Abbey's Infamous Cheesecake as the challenge.

Since I prefer to bake vegan, I've been dragging my feet on this one. But, I think this was a good impetus as I finally made my first vegan cheezecake using this recipe. Of course, it did not taste anything like cheezecake but I think it makes a good base for pies and tarts. I made an oreo crust base since that was the easiest and vegan. Also, the recipe is a little wonky as it does not make enough custard. So, I ended up with a flat cheezecake! 

4 comments:

Sara said...

Mmmm, this looks amazing! Love the swirls.

Cookie said...

Hi Halimah,
can I check if this cheesecake is soft and runny? I had this problem when using tofu but couldn't figure out what's wrong.

Thanks

Halimah Ilavarasi said...

Hi Cookie,

Mine did not run. It held the shape very well. Even I was surprised. A few modifications I made from the recipe was to reduce the amount of soy milk and I also use chinese tofu (not silken which is quite watery to begin with). Also, I baked it longer until I felt satisfied and also chilled before eating.

I'm thinking that adding chocolate might have helped as well cos chocolate has 'hardening' properties.

Anyway, still have a long way to go before it tastes like cheesecake! hehehe

Virginie said...

Interesting your tips for the cheesecake not to be runny. I had the same problem as Cookie when I tried to make my first cheesecake, so I had to use agar agar to thicken the tofu cream (I used fresh bean curd, and no I couldn't used chocolate, as my Cheesecake was a salted and broccoli flavored one).
Your cheesecake looks good and cute with its swirling glazing. Even if it didn't remind you the taste of cheesecake, I'm sure it was a light dessert. At least, you can change its name and call it Bavarois - with the french accent ! I'm sure it will win back its points...