Monday, May 19, 2008

Our meal on Saturday....


Lunch was fried kuay Teow... I washed the kuay teow before putting it into the wok so it ended up clumping together. Tasted good but a little mushed up because of the lack of oil. But, I wouldn't want it any other way. This is why I suppose when I order kuay teow outside, it comes soaked in oil! 

I really enjoyed dinner though. I just love rice with plenty of side dishes. It is just so fantastic to eat. This is what I cooked:

Black Pepper Broccoli and Carrot Stir-Fry (Made the mistake of using dark instead of light soy sauce)

French Beans and Tomato Stir-Fry

Fried Tempeh (unfortunately a little burnt)

Soy Sauce Mock Mutton (very tasty and tangy)


Recipe for Soy Sauce Mock Mutton (based on estimation)

About 200g mock mutton
1 onion, chopped
2-3 garlics, peeled and chopped
1 lemongrass, chopped
4-5 dried chilli cut into smaller pieces
1 cinnamon stick
2-3 star anise
2-3 cardamon
1 tsp of chilli powder (or more for spiciness)
2-3 tbsp of tomato puree
2-3 tbsp dark soy sauce (to taste)
1 cup of water or more (depending on how much gravy is required)
Some oil for saute

Method:
1. Heat the oil and fry the cinnamon stick, cardomon, star anise, lemongrass, dried chiili and onion. Once the onions are softened and golden, add the garlic.
2. Make the chilli powder into a paste by adding some water. Add to the pan and cook for about 2-3 mins. 
3. Add the tomato puree, water and the dark soy sauce. 
4. Add the mock mutton and cook until flavours are well absorbed and the 'meat' is done. 

Notes:
1. If more water is added, adjust by adding more tomato puree and soy sauce. (The dish should be tangy with a faint cinnamon smell) 
2. If more spiciness is required, increase the amount of chilli powder.
3. I suppose fresh tomatoes can be substituted for tomato puree.


2 comments:

Rei said...

Wow Halimah, you've been very busy yourself. All the dishes looked lovely! Love the veg pizza!

Halimah Ilavarasi said...

Thanks Rei! I can still cook now cos' I'm mostly at home, I hope to be as dynamic as you when I go back to work!