Thursday, May 1, 2008

A productive week... if I can say so myself...


The last I blogged was about FHA, and I'm still reeling in happiness every time I look at the pictures... 

This week was spent trying to perfect the chocolate cupcakes and after awhile... they all started to taste the same... so i decided to embark on some vanilla cupcakes instead... I manage to try two different recipes... the second one was definitely much better so I guess that will be tweaked a little...  Of course, the only problem I have with the vanilla cupcakes is that I'm currently using disgusting vanilla essence. I should be using vanilla extract but it contains alcohol which I can't consume... So, I'm planning to buy some priced vanilla beans to try 'em again tomorrow. 

To take a break from all the cuppie making, I decided to make bread... However, I did not have
bread flour, so had to really on all purpose flour... the first bread I made, the orange bread turned out quite good... albeit a little moist... of cos it was completely my fault because I did not follow the recipe exactly... Hubby grumbled cos' he dislikes orange flavoured anything... but he manage to demolish half the bread in one seating... I had to stop him in time to take some pics before it was gone!

Today, i made some vegan cinnamon buns... This turned out very nice... even though to me it did not have the same kind of richness as normal cinnamon buns.. i think one reason could be that i did not glaze the buns... and also it did not have the buttery taste that 'normal' sticky buns have. But, I'm still proud of it!
On another high note, our chilli plants which had been blooming fruitlessly were spotted today with two tiny chillies. The chilli plants had been flowering beautifully for some time now but did not produce any fruits. This had let to hubby grumbling about how useless the plants have been.. Well, finally, today he spotted two small greeny bits on the plants and we excited enough to snap a couple of pics! You can see how cute they are. I can't wait for them to grow out... Fresh chilli has a very yummy smell and taste. :)


2 comments:

KWF said...

halimah, glad your hubby like the bread. Next round if you use plain flour instead of bread flour, reduce the liquid a little, maybe by 10-20ml first, then slowly add in later if too dry.

Halimah Ilavarasi said...

thanks KWF....

I was a bit itchy handed.. added more juice.. then realised it was quite wet and sticky... but the bread tasted nice!